Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Car Hire and Driving on the Other Side of Your Brain – Tuesday, December, 7th


We rented a car for Tuesday’s adventure. My first time driving on the wrong (that’s right I said wrong) side of the road, and in torrential rain too!!

I am lucky to be here with Ida because she has driven sitting on the right side of the car and the left side of the road. I must say it was weird sitting on the left side of the car and being the passenger and I was having a gut reaction to constantly being on the wrong side of the road from what I was used to. After a while it got better and I was able to get coordinated in my brain and relax. I got to give it a try once we got a little out of the city and out of heavy traffic.

The best advice that I heard about driving was from the guy that we rented the car from. He said “before you do anything (like turn!) just stop and think about it”. That worked perfectly for me. I definitely had to think more about driving than usual but it went well. The other thing that I experienced for the first time was a round-about. I used to think that these things looked rather silly, but after having experienced a couple of them now, they seem to make sense because they keep traffic moving.

We had planned on going to the Great Ocean Road but it ended up being too far away for the timeframe that we were working with, so we went off to play in the forest instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment